Friday 23 March 2007

Entertainment vs development

When I discuss youth work with various people heir initial thought seems to be that the roll of the youth worker is purely to be the person who puts on events and entertains young people to keep them out of trouble. I think there is a certain level of entertainment that is needed and required within youthwork but entertainment itself is not the end goal. Is it possible to entertain young people and develop them at the same time? I would argue yest it is possible, and also necessary. I am aware that when i go in schools and take lessons or assemblies, if I was just interested in feeding information then I would probably get nowhere. But if I go to relate and entertain, butwithin that, develop, I would argue that young people are more likely to take something away from what I have done with them, if they have found it to be entertaining as wlel. So let's not just entertain, or purely look at development, but realise that if young people enjoy being somewhere or doing something and are entertained by it, then they are likely to take something away from it as well.

No comments: