Tuesday 4 September 2007

How provocative are we meant to be?

I have been asked to speak at a conference day later this month. The last time I was there and asked to speak I caused a bit of contraversy on one of my approaches. The question is how provocative as Youth Leaders are we meant to be. I always think that young people gt a rough deal from adults, and that is largely due to the fact that adults make their decisions and make them farily quickly about teens. So do we need to be a bit more provocative to actually get people to think properly? Was Jesus ever deliberately provocative just to get people to think differently, maybe, bt does this also give us liscence to do the same.

1 comment:

Pete Lev said...

I think you understate it: Was Jesus every deliberately provocative? yes! He was challenging and subversive.
Should we be? I guess that depends who we are provoking and why. It also depends on our attitude. We should always act out of grace and love. So often what matters is how things are done and said as much as the content.

We also need sometimes to see the bigger picture and not just our issue...